[Asterisk-Users] newb question regarding DTMF

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Tue Aug 24 19:47:26 MST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Erik Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:46:36 -0600 (MDT), Greg Hill
> <gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us> wrote:
> > x-lite uses the RFC2833 style for DTMF "out of the box" (it can be set to
> > transmit inband). You need dtmfmode=rfc2833 in [general] or in the section
> > for your x-lite user.
>
> That's what I've read, and I have added dtmfmode=rfc2833 in my
> sip.conf...see this snippet:
>
> [xlite1]
> ;Turn off silence suppression in X-Lite ("Transmit Silence"=YES)!
> ;Note that Xlite sends NAT keep-alive packets, so qualify=yes is not needed
> type=friend
> username=xlite
> callerid="Jane Smith" <5678>
> host=dynamic
> nat=yes                       ; X-Lite is behind a NAT router
> canreinvite=no                ; Typically set to NO if behind NAT
> disallow=all
> allow=gsm                     ; GSM consumes far less bandwidth than ulaw
> allow=ulaw
> allow=alaw
> dtmfmode=rfc2833
>
> I've applied that change and restarted asterisk, but no dice...

Dial the extension, then on the * CLI use 'sip show channels' to get the
name of the active channel. Next use 'sip show channel ___' to get info on
that particular channel (you can type the first few characters and use tab
completion; no need to type the whole string!). Scan through the output to
see whether asterisk is really using rfc2833 for that channel. If it is,
then the problem is likely in the x-lite config. If not, try moving
dtmfmode to the general section of sip.conf

Greg