[Asterisk-Users] Hardware for PBX with 4 incoming/outgoing lines and 20 phones

Andrew Elchuk aelchuk at cronustech.com
Tue Aug 24 16:11:36 MST 2004

Hi

I am interested in setting up an Asterisk PBX in my office with digium
hardware, and I just have a few questions in regards to what I would
need.  It is my understanding that an FXO card is used to interface with
an incoming/outgoing phone line, and an FXS card is used for interfacing
with a phone within the system.  Currently we have 4 incoming/outgoing
phone lines and would like to have 20 phones in the system.  In order to
accomodate this, would you either reccommend having 1 TDM04B (4 FXO
modules on it) for the 4 incoming/outgoing lines, and 5 TDM40B (4 FXS
modules on each) for the 20 phones we would have in the system.  Or
would you reccommend 1 TDM04B for the 4 incoming/outgoing lines, and a
T100P connected to a channel bank of some sort to connect to the
internal phones?  If you reccommend the T100P and channel bank, where do
you suggest I get an FXS channel bank?  Please let me know if I got any
of this mixed up (like if I got the FXO and FXS cards mixed up) and
thank you in advance for your help in us deciding the hardware we need
for a new PBX.

Andrew Elchuk

P.S.  We are currently using an X-Like software phone with a free world
dialup account for communication with our other office in a different
city.  My question is if I can configure the extensions.conf to connect
to a free world dialup number when executing a dial command, or would I
need to edit sip.conf as well or some other configs or is that even
possible?  Thank you again.

--
Andrew Elchuk
Technical Associate