[Asterisk-Users] determining what number was dialed?

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Mon Aug 23 09:21:11 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Critchfield" <critch at basesys.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] determining what number was dialed?

> On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 16:37, Paul Concepcion wrote:
> > well, that's our setup (8 analog lines -> channel bank -> t100P), so
> > it looks like DNIS is out of the question. We do have 8 phone numbers
> > though. Could we have a 1-800 number direct to each of those, then do
> > what you suggested with contexts? What would happen if two people
> > dialed 1-800-a if 1-800-a was pointed to just one phone number?
>
> Depends on hunt groups and such. If you have rollover/hunt groups,
> pointing a 1800 to a number is not very useful for getting DID or DNIS
> functionality.
>
> The different context solution was based on the idea of making each
> incoming analog line have it's own logical seperation in the dialplan.
> The trouble is, as you roll from one busy line to the next, there is no
> information about what group the person dialed into. If you where to
> split your hunt group into 2 - 4 line groups without talking to the
> telco, you could fill group 1 up and then be rolling into group b. Same
> works the other way with wrap around hunting.
>
> If you don't have hunt group functionality, and you point a 1800 number
> to a analog line, then the second phone call will hit a busy signal.

I'm using a similar setup here, we have 3 companies in this building. We're
using a Merlin Legend PBX with FXO modules. Our incoming lines come from a
T1 which terminates on an ADIT 600. It is then split into lines through FXS
cards in the ADIT...

Company A has 5 lines, the first of which has the 1-800 number pointed to
it. It is set up on a linear hunt group to the other 4 lines. No matter what
line the call comes in on, since it's in that first set of 5 lines, the PBX
answers with Company 'A' IVR... * can do the same thing, I would group the
first 5 channels into 'g1' for example, then place them in a context like
[companyA]...

Company B has 3 lines, same thing only set up on a separate linear hunt
group so that it doesn't roll into the first 5 lines or the next 8 lines...

Company C has 8 lines... you get the idea...

I'm not sure how many companies you have or how many 1-800 numbers you're
using... Obviously this is not the ideal setup because it requires the
different companies to have a fixed amount of lines whether they use them
all or not... A better solution would be a PRI with DNIS but this is what we
have to work with and it seems to work well...

Like Steven said if you don't have hunt groups, then when someone calls a
number and another person calls that same number, the 2nd person will get a
busy signal... At least with the way our hunt groups work, the hunt will
keep looking in a linear fashion until a line becomes free (resulting in the
person hearing ringing)...

Hope this helps!

    -Chris