[Asterisk-Users] telnet and Root

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Mon Aug 23 08:36:37 MST 2004

Mark Woods wrote:

> Chris Shaw wrote:
>
>>> If you really want to be able to telnet in as root, locate
>>> telnetd.conf or somesuch and it should be in there somewhere
>>> as a yes/no.  (It is for ssh anyway..)
>>>

>> No, not under any distro I'm familiar with... It's under
>> /etc/securetty...
>> You add the tty of the device you want to allow root access to, like
>> pts/0... DON'T DO THIS THOUGH, unless you don't care that your root
>> password
>> will be sent PLAINTEXT over the internet...
>>

> He may not be telneting to it across the internet.  He may only be
> doing it from his local network.
>
> That being said, I like almost everyone else, recommend ssh *and* su,
> though I'm guilty of logging in as root across the internet with ssh.

Nah.  Private key authentication is probably more secure for this.  I
have my ssh servers generally set up to require key authentication and
deny password authentication.  This does effectively force me to su with
ssh because I haven't set up the key authentication for the root
account, but I am still not sure that there is that much more to be gained.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting