[Asterisk-Users] telnet and Root

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Mon Aug 23 08:27:17 MST 2004

neil wrote:

> Sorry if this is posted to the wrong forum but as it is related to a
> problem I have with Asterisk it may just scrape through!!
>

> I am running Fedora 1 and I can telnet in to my asterisk box as any
> user except root and am using the same credentials as logging in
> locally. I am new to Linux and any help would be gratefully appreciated.

OpenSSH is much easier to secure than Telnet because most telnet servers
and clients expect to pass the passwords to eachother in plain site.  If
you MUST use telnet, please set up Kerberos and configure it to encrypt
the entire session, not just the login.  you must use the telnet server
and client that comes with the kerberos distribution as well.

However, in general it is easier to set up SSH than to set up kerberized
telnet in a secure way.

Due to its vulnerability, most telnet servers will not allow root to log
in via telnet.  OpenSSH has a configuration option for this, and can be
set either way.  You can get OpenSSH from http://www.openssh.org.  It
depends on openssl which is available from http://www.openssl.org.