[Asterisk-Users] Queue Calls without using the

Sun Aug 22 21:26:17 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 13:02, Michael at Matraex.com wrote:
> I am writing a call center application.
> I do not want to use Queues to manage my incoming calls and connect
> them to the operators for a few reasons which I wont go into here.

It would be interesting to see why this wouldn't work for you....

> The option I come up with is to create a context that the call goes to
> which runs background() and just loops to play it again and again
> forever.  The background() will have options to dial 1 to leave
> voicemail
> Then, when the operator is ready to take the call, the Manager API it
> will yank them out of the "Hold Queue" and send them to the Operators
> extension using the Redirect" command.

Why not just park them, and then have the user dial an extension when
they are ready to collect the next call (or redirect them to the
extension).

> My Questions is this: Does this create any kind of concerns when the
> call just loops again and again or when the call is arbitrarily pulled
> from a context and directed to an extension?
> Is there a better way to do this? What have you done in the past to
> solve this type of issue?

I doubt it... you could use SetVar(loops=${loops}+1) and gotoif to check
if they have been holding 'too long' and jump them to some other
extension.

Regards,
Adam