[Asterisk-Users] determining what number was dialed?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Sat Aug 21 14:23:46 MST 2004

Paul Concepcion wrote:

> 8 analog lines all terminate in an Adtran TA750 channel bank we
> bought. From there a crossover cable connects to the T100P card in our
> Asterisk server.

With this arrangement you cannot receive DNIS. There is no way for the
telco to transmit the dialed number to you.

> We temporarily had regular phones connected to a few of the analog
> lines and the caller ID information did come through. Are there
> questions I should ask my provider that will tell me what kind of
> signalling we use?

Caller ID is something else entirely; it is _not_ the number that was
dialed, it is (presumably) the number of the caller.

If you want to receive the number that the caller dialed (so you can
route the call based on that information), you have only two choices: a
T-1 from your telco with two-way DID trunks on it, or a PRI from your
telco. Asterisk does not support any other means of receiving the dialed
number (and there is only one other means, analog DID trunks).