[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and software Raid

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Aug 21 12:17:22 MST 2004

I used software raids and want to get away from them.  I really really like Microlite's BackupEdge tape backup software.  BackupEdge does not work with a software raid, only a hardware raid.

The second kicker was that the Promise (or any other) hardware IDE raids are considered software raid to the Kernel.  And are NOT supported with the new 2.6.x Kernels...

My experience with IDE in raid arrays is less than stellar and will be trashing them as I rebuild servers.  I have had several instances where one drive fails and the entire array falls over as the kernel struggles to recover from the loss of a drive or the error messages.  I have seen this with Linux generated arrays and with the Promise IDE raid cards.  Besides the performance of the Promise parallel IDE raid sucks big time.

With the excellent tape software above, I don't think I really need them anyway.  BackupEdge will generate a bootable CD-Rom that will install your last backup on bare metal after a major malfunction.

Lyle