[Asterisk-Users] New $89 VOIP phone

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Aug 18 09:26:39 MST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Chris Shaw wrote:

> > You could also do this without those splitters by splitting 2 pairs of
> wires
> > to 2 connectors on both side of the cable.
> >

> You're kidding right?
>
> There's a reason why category 5 cable is twisted the way it is... to
> eliminate or greatly reduce RF crosstalk on the wires... Now what would
> happen if you split those wires between 2 different signals and kept them
> tightly packed together?

I don't think the poster ment to split the pairs, I think he meant the
(quite common and perfectly ok) practice of using the two unused pairs in
a normal 4-pair cable as a second ethernet channel. The pairs 4-5 and 7-8
are not used by 100BaseTX. A modern cat5e or cat6 cable is designed to
have a low enough cross talk to allow all 4 pairs to be used, as is done
in gigabit ethernet.

Peter