[Asterisk-Users] New $89 VOIP phone

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Wed Aug 18 08:12:47 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefaan" <lists at itecom.be>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] New $89 VOIP phone

> From: "Andrew Kohlsmith" <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com>
> > Either way a decision needs to be made.  There's no magic fairy gonna
come
> > down and wiggle her pretty lil' ass over the walls and you magically
have
> > dual Cat5e to every desk and some great POE-injecting switches upstairs.
> :-)
>
> Those fairy's do actually exist, well, kind off that is ;-)
>
> Do you know those ethernet cable splitters? Is splits 1 ethernet cable
into
> 2 ethernet connections by using all 4 pairs of the cable. Put one at your
> desk, and one at your switch, et voila; 2 independent ethernet connections
> over one cable.
>
> You could also do this without those splitters by splitting 2 pairs of
wires
> to 2 connectors on both side of the cable.

You're kidding right?

There's a reason why category 5 cable is twisted the way it is... to
eliminate or greatly reduce RF crosstalk on the wires... Now what would
happen if you split those wires between 2 different signals and kept them
tightly packed together?

Can we say random data corruption, mysterious errors and terrible
performance? Bingo!

Again, this kind of thing might be ok for a small home network, but you
can't seriously suggest it for a business...