[Asterisk-Users] New $89 VOIP phone

robert.johnson-perkins at uk.nomura.com robert.johnson-perkins at uk.nomura.com
Wed Aug 18 09:13:54 MST 2004

> From: Chris Shaw
> > From: "Andrew Kohlsmith" <akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com>

> > 2 ethernet connections by using all 4 pairs of the cable.
> > Put one at your desk, and one at your switch, et voila; 2 independent ethernet connections
> > over one cable.
> >
> > You could also do this without those splitters by splitting
> 2 pairs of wires to 2 connectors on both side of the cable.
>
> You're kidding right?
>
> There's a reason why category 5 cable is twisted the way it is... to
> eliminate or greatly reduce RF crosstalk on the wires... Now
> what would
> happen if you split those wires between 2 different signals
> and kept them
> tightly packed together?
>
> Can we say random data corruption, mysterious errors and terrible
> performance? Bingo!
>
> Again, this kind of thing might be ok for a small home
> network, but you
> can't seriously suggest it for a business...

As long as you wire them up correctly, will not be a problem:

I wire them as
	RJ45 socket 1: pins 1&2 (TX+/-) to orange pair, pins 3&6 (RX+/-) green pair
	RJ45 socket 2: pins 1&2 (TX+/-) to brown pair, pins 3&6 (RX+/-) blue pair

The fact that the signals run down a twisted pair REDUCES cross talk, which is why the cables CAN be unshielded.
Think about it, the only thing separating two cables is the grey plastic! and they don't crosstalk.

Seems, kind-of, environmentally unfriendly leaving all of those pairs left unused.....

Anyway, belkin et all sell the cable economizers so it must be fine ;-)

PLEASE READ: The information contained in this email is confidential
and intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not an intended
recipient of this email you must not copy, distribute or take any
further action in reliance on it and you should delete it and notify the
sender immediately. Email is not a secure method of communication and
Nomura International plc cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy
or completeness of this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this
email for virus infection, for which Nomura International plc accepts
no responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
Nomura International plc. This email is intended for informational
purposes only and is not a solicitation or offer to buy or sell
securities or related financial instruments. Nomura International plc is
regulated by the Financial Services Authority and is a member of the
London Stock Exchange.