[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as SMS Service Center

Simone Ricci simone.ricci at cwnet.it
Wed Aug 18 07:53:35 MST 2004

I've found app_sms which is supposed to do that. However, I never
managed to get it work. Every phone I tried refuses to communicate with
asterisk.

This was my (very basic)config:

exten => 1,1,Answer
exten => 1,2,Wait(1)
exten => 1,3,SMS(test,as)
exten => 1,4,HangUp

This is supposed to answer the extension '1', wait a second (just to be
safe), launch the sms application with 's' and 'a' options (which is
supposed to act like an answering service center, to accept incoming
messages), then hangup. No way, I see the phone dialing into that
extension (i've changed SMSC parameter, obviously), sms_app starts but
after a while phone says "transmission failed" (or some other error
message). I've tried with different phones brand/type, all claiming to
be ETSI compliant (and they are, since sending SMSes through my telco's
gw works like a charm).

Cheers,
Simone.