[Asterisk-Users] Help - is voip good for in-house calls?

Francis Augusto Medeiros francismedeiros at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:30:23 MST 2004

Hallo Holger, and thanks for your explanations! Here's my reply:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:51:54 +0200, Holger Schurig
<hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de> wrote:
> > Well, I'm not really looking for a lot of phone features, just the
> > basics (transfers, call retrieval, etc.).
>
> Not sure what you mean with "call retrieval".
>
> But the GS phone can only do blind transfer.

By "call retrieval", I mean this: when the phone rings on an extension
(incoming call), but I'm far from it, then, dialing a certain prefix
would make me pick up that call from the extension that's nearby me.

Oh, bummer, if the GS phone can't do attended transfer, than it's no
good for me. I thought that all this could be done just by asterisk,
not needing a supporting phone for that.

> Also, Asterisk currently can only do blind-transfer by software.

Really??? An attended transfer is a MUST for me. What are my options??

> If you want "attended transfer" or "supervised transfer" (two names for
> the same thing), then you can't currently use GS.
>
> > I'll most likely use a BRI. Do you think this will help to avoid echo?
>
> I heard that you can get echo with chan_capi as well.
>
> If you get a HCF chip based BRI card and use zaphfc with chan_zap, then
> the echo cancel code in zaphfc can kick in and remove echo.
>
> That said: I had never echo with neither chan_capi nor chan_zap/zaphfc.

Well, being from Germany, you probably know that Teles.isdn card for
PC's. Do you think that thing is any good? I've only seen it in Norway
in 1999/2000, and that's the one I got spare here.

Cheers,

Francis