[Asterisk-Users] New $89 VOIP phone

Derek Listmail Acct listmail at oversimplified.com
Tue Aug 17 13:54:38 MST 2004

> There are several options (much better than plugging your PC into the
> phone
> I might add) one being to buy a small desktop switch... Another would be
> install a switching wall plate like those from Cisco or 3com... Another
> would be to think ahead and install another wall jack if your company
> might
> now or in the future use IP telephony...

I would prefer a phone with a decent switch in it over any of these
solutions.

Small desktop switches generally don't have any QOS, tend to look bad
under a desk, and require another power outlet.

The switching wall plates from Cisco and 3com cost almost as much as the
IP phones we are trying to sell our customers, and many of the customers
don't have wall plates to begin with.

Pulling another cable is fairly expensive, requires another port on the
switch, and having people on ladders stringing cable is usually a bit
annoying to the employees of the business.