[Asterisk-Users] Help: SMS in UK

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Mon Aug 16 00:43:09 MST 2004

Hi-

Having a little trouble with the SMS application in the UK.  I've read the
wiki topic and also the BT documentation SIN 413, which describes the
service technically.

I've been able to successfully send messages from my customer's ISDN
landline to various mobiles, but cannot get the mobiles to be able to send
messages back to the landline.  I've tried sending from both Cellnet and
Orange, with the result that the phone says "Message not Sent" or something
similar.

I've been using message centre subaddress "1" when I initiate messages, and
assume that I should also reply to subaddress "1".  For example, on the
mobile, the message shows to be from "01234567890 1" (spaces added for
readability) where "01234567890" is the number of my ISDN landline.   When I
reply from the mobile to this message, I try both the number with and
without the "1" at the end, and get the same result both times.

I'm missing something here I think.  Do I have to register separately on my
landline to receive SMS's?  Doesn't sending a message automatically register
me to receive them too?

Thanks
Scott

Scott M. Stingel