[Asterisk-Users] no tones detected

Greg Hill gregh-asterisk at hillnet.us
Sun Aug 15 14:44:03 MST 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Johnathan Bunn wrote:

> maybe this has been covered before but, i can't find it, has anyone
> had a problem where outside lines can't use number presses like choose
> extensions but inside lines can,
> I am using voicetronix hardware with asterisk and when i call from a
> station port I hear my greeting and can dial an extension and connect,
> but if I call in I can here my greeting and pushing buttons does
> nothing, and they dont show up on the console either.... I have tried
> 3 land line phones...
>
> any help or a point in the right direction would be extremely helpful

I don't know anything about your hardware, but it sounds like yours is a
DTMF mode problem. There are multiple ways of communicating the DTMF tones
in the land of VOIP. SIP, for example, typically uses RFC2833, info, or
inband. You set up * (or it defaults) to expect DTMF in a particular
format, and it ignores the other formats. So if the far end transmits
inband and asterisk is expecting RFC2833 (default on SIP connections) the
it won't recognize the caller's button presses. Search google and the wiki
for "dtmfmode" or "dtmf mode" for your device's connection method
(sip/zap/iax/whatever).

Greg