[Asterisk-Users] Help - is voip good for in-house calls?

Francis Augusto Medeiros francismedeiros at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 13:08:08 MST 2004

Hi there everyone!

I work at an office where we plant to have about 12-15 phone
extensions. Costs of PBX are cheaper, but they are not expandable and,
as the office is brand new, I want to use all modern stuff.

My question is: if I buy 12-15 Grandstream Budgetone 101 phones, and
install and asterisk server, as well as a Digium TDM400 for POTS
access, will I have the same voice quality and standards as a
PBX-only, with "traditional" phones? Or should I go all the way to
Digium's TDM? Or should I forget the whole thing and get a traditional
PBX? ;)

My concerns are most latencies. Our network will be a switch with lots
of ports, all 100mb/s, with VERY low traffic.

I've read lots about voip, and I'm quite impressed with it, but most
case studies show voip being used to interconnect offices. My case is
different - I want to replace a traditional PBX to handle in-house
phone calls, either from room-to-room in the same building and
room-to-POTS.

Any comment, help, tip or link would be greatly appreciated!

Yours truly,

Francis