[Asterisk-Users] [Q] DIDs

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Fri Aug 13 23:34:44 MST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Chris Shaw wrote:

> 1) Yes, what you're describing is called DNIS (Dialed Number Identification
> Service) it shows the phone number that a person DIALED to reach you... (Not
> THEIR phone number like caller id). This information can be used in an *
> dialplan to route calls based on the called number... This is not the only
> way to route calls however... You need a digital line like a PRI or a T1 to
> receive this information I believe, I don't think it comes through on
> regular POTS lines... I could be wrong...

Also known as DID service or called number information at various times.
You can have analog copper pots lines configured to send that information.
I don't know if Asterisk supports it. Anyone?

Going to isdn gives you a cleaner and more feature rich signalling. I
guess whether it is a viable option depends on the price your local
carrier chages.

Peter