[Asterisk-Users] Blocking the 'Do Not Call" List

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Aug 13 13:46:11 MST 2004

Chris Shaw <chriss at watertech.com> wrote:
> That is a matter of opinion and not in any way factual.... SQL, just
> as everything else, is as secure as YOU make it... As you said, it's
> a language for querying relational databases, it has no knowledge of
> security. That's what firewalls, encryption and strong passwords are
> for...

> However, for the purpose of blocking numbers based on a do-not-call
> list, it will work perfectly fine. It's lightweight, fast and
> relatively efficient...

You seem to be conflating SQL and MySQL, which is confusing your
thoughts and arguments somewhat.

You are correct that my opinion that MySQL is a poor quality product
that's worth avoiding is just that, opinion. It is however formed over
many years as a professional developer having to use and manage other
people's MySQL databases and watching how they tend to get corrupted
over time, and I just don't trust it any more.

I don't think I said that it was a bad idea to put a DNC list in a SQL
database, although I did propose a more efficient alternative that
might appeal to some people.

If you're looking for a good Open Source database, Postgres is rather
nice.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key