[Asterisk-Users] Semi-OT: Splitting a PRI into two PRI's?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Tue Aug 10 12:30:39 MST 2004

Hey all,

I've got a PRI used for data calls right now, terminated in a MAX 4000.
We're only using around 12 channels on average and 16 max, so I'd like to
split off the remaining channels to terminate in an Asterisk box.

Does anyone know of a device that'll take a PRI in, and spit out two PRI's
that share the channels? Also need to be able to do some sort of call
routing so that calls coming into the data number get terminated in our
Max and the rest of the calls go to Asterisk. It looks like the following
device will do it:

http://www.isdnconnect.com/giff_pages/diagramb.htm

..but it's also rather expensive. (Looks like US ~$3k for one that
supports 3 PRI lines.) We do also have a dual-PRI license for our MAX, so
I'm investigating if it's possible to have it do the routing.

I'd prefer to avoid running the data side of the PRI through Asterisk, as
I'll be in big trouble if that stops working.  :)

Thanks!