[Asterisk-Users] SIP <->h.323

Ryan Wilkins ryan at deadfrog.net
Fri Aug 13 06:57:02 MST 2004

Yes, it can.. I'm doing it at my home.  My current setup is
Asterisk-1.0-RC2 using the oh323 driver.  I have a SIP connection to
Broadvoice talking to Asterisk.  I have a e-tel (now Qtelnet) H.323 VoIP
telephone adapter as my end point talking to Asterisk.

For processing sake, you may want to keep your codec the same all the way
through.  Originally I ran G.711u on the SIP connection and G.711a on the
H.323 connection.  It worked just fine but the logs always said something
about transcoding between u-law and a-law.  I reset the H.323 link to
G.711u and now it says nothing about transcoding.  In theory you would
lose a bit of audio quality in the translation process.  In reality I
don't really know.

email me privately if you want a sample config.

Ryan Wilkins