[Asterisk-Users] ::::: Pssst. Rc2! :::::::

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Aug 13 04:51:29 MST 2004

On Thursday 12 August 2004 16:55, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > I understand this; typically speaking though, the bottle neck is between
> > my end of the link and the next hop; I can control that very effectively
> > with QoS.
>
> Maybe for outbound, but unless the other end of the link is helping your
> out, it is easy to have 100 machines hammering down the downlink no
> matter what the uplink looks like.

Yes and no; On my 4M/1M ADSL link I can completely hammer both directions (a
dozen bittorrent runs, some other P2P, kernel downloads and a few netcat
uploads) -- good mix of traffic...  and my calls *still* sound great (the odd
pop but certainly acceptable) -- I only have control over my side.

The trick for me was to use a PCI ADSL modem (Sangoma S518) instead of trying
to prevent the external ADSL modem buffer from filling up.  I've already
posted my rc.tc script which does the rest.

I do agree though -- if you're getting hammered with UDP traffic there isn't
much you can do unless you can prevent it from filling the link in the first
place, but as far as TCP you at least have a fighting chance thanks to the
slow start and backoff algorithms used.

-A.