[Asterisk-Users] X100P a winmodem?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Aug 13 05:24:52 MST 2004

> Perhaps people with more logic/electrical knowledge then I could address this....
>
> >From what I've read the X100P (and clones) are basically a winmodem that are then
supported with Linux drivers?

> If that's the case would it be possible to adapt the drivers to support winmodems built
into laptops to support the same functionality as the X100P?

> This means that cheap second hand laptops could become the ideal Asterisk box as they
usually have winmodems built in as well as the processing power to support a low level
Asterisk build.

The drivers for the x100p were written specifically to the chipsets
in use on that card; highly unlikely any internal laptop modem would
use the exact same chipset and have it wired in exactly the same way.

Assuming you had a laptop with some reasonable form of chips, the
liklihood the next model of laptop used the same hardware approach
is also very slim.

Bottom line... wouldn't even think about it.