[Asterisk-Users] New office hardware set up question.

Shawn Parker shawn.parker at cumulus.com
Thu Aug 12 09:08:26 MST 2004

Pardon the newb question and all, but this is my first real experience
with phone systems, let alone VoIP and Asterisk.

I'm building an office space for a former employer and we are
considering Asterisk as the phone system there.  But, I've never set up
an Asterisk system before so I've got a couple of questions about the
required hardware.

The network architecture is pretty simple, we have an incoming T1 (into
an adtran box).  There is a 24-Port switch and a 24-Port patch panel for
the network.  The office needs 10 phones and they have 5 workstations.
I was looking at building a server with a WCT100P card and using
Asterisk on it, and using Cisco 7905G IP phones.  Now, my question is
this, do I need anything else for this set up to work?  The IP phones
plug into the lan like everything else, each has it's own IP address and
appears on the network.  If I run a T1 line into the T100P card how does
incoming and outgoing calls work?  The T1 can be broken up into as many
voice/data channels as needed, and the company has existing phone and
fax numbers.

I'm a network guy, not a phone guy.  Is there any other piece of
hardware I need between the PBX and the T1?  Or anything else I'm
leaving out that makes the phones work with Asterisk?

--
Shawn Parker
Network Administrator
shawn.parker at cumulus.com