[Asterisk-Users] Static on outgoing calls (Quad E1)

Wed Aug 11 19:44:08 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 21:09, Ben Merrills wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with a Digium quad E1 card. It seems when I make
> outgoing calls to any party, when that person talks on the line, they
> hear scratching and static (there’s also background static, but less
> of it). The person making the call from asterisk (via the E1) doesn’t
> hear any of this. I’ve done things like turned off irqmasking on the
> IDE drives in the machine, which had no effect it would seem.

> Has anyone come across an issue like this before? This doesn’t happen
> on incoming calls to the Asterisk box! On incoming calls, both parties
> hear excellent quality audio.

Yes, have had a very similar problem, described as follows:
When the remote party talks, they hear an 'echo' of their voice, but
severely distorted/amplified... Sounds very bad.
This only seems to happen when connected to 'certain' destinations, (ie,
happens all the time to that phone number).

This has been happening since January of this year when we first moved
to the PRI + asterisk. All handsets are connected via a TDM40B quad FXS
port card. This also happens when a call comes in, and is then forwarded
back out to my mobile, in which case I hear the 'bad echo' when the
incoming caller talks, although the incoming caller hears nothing.

The only suggestion I had at some point was to change from using a
TE410P to the TE405P (except I don't have a 3.3V PCI bus machine for
asterisk).

Regards,
Adam