[Asterisk-Users] Static on outgoing calls (Quad E1)

Brent Franks mwless at mindworks.net
Wed Aug 11 05:20:05 MST 2004

>Hi,
>
> I have a problem with a Digium quad E1 card. It seems when I make
> outgoing calls to any party, when that person talks on the line, they
> hear scratching and static (there's also background static, but less of
> it). The person making the call from asterisk (via the E1) doesn't hear
> any of this. I've done things like turned off irqmasking on the IDE
> drives in the machine, which had no effect it would seem.

I had a similar issue before, but it was with a T100P connected to an
Adtran TA750.  The phones we were using were Polycom SIP IP 500 phones.
What we did (and anyone of these could have resolved it) was got Polycom
to send us new Power of Ethernet injectors.

We also cleaned the wiring up from the POTS lines to the Adtran.  Then
from the Adtran to the T100P.

We also, moved the server off of a Batery backup (cheapo) that seemed to
be semi related.  When we moved it onto the cheapo battery backup, we
started noticing the static.

So anyone of those seemed to resolve it.  We also moved echo cancellation
off of * onto a Tellabs box, and are much happier with the performance and
cancellation.

Best of both worlds I guess.

Thanks,

Brent