[Asterisk-Users] AbsoluteTimeout Inside A Macro

Christopher L. Wade clwade at sparco.com
Wed Aug 11 09:50:29 MST 2004

Mike Coakley wrote:

> Hmm... I couldn't get my Macro to work and your comments have me
> thinking I'm stupid again. I think I'm going to setup another test bed
> and wack the crap out of this one... next question to ask the
> developers... why wouldn't they include the system extensions. That
> would make the Macro implementation more complete.

Don't think this type of extension vs this other type of extension.
Think flow control vs exception handling.  AbsoluteTimeout is listed in
  the wiki as flow control, but it is actually an exception device and
the 'T' extension is the exception handler.  Most applications, not just
Macro, simply exit upon encountering an exception, thus, when
AbsoluteTimeout exceptions happen during Macro execution, you are
dropped out of the macro into the context that called the macro.

It's not a matter of not including something, its a matter of how
something is implemented.

Thanks,
Chris