[Asterisk-Users] iconnect inbound - so do we know how to fix it

Paul Cheng asterisk at klarium.com
Tue Aug 10 06:34:32 MST 2004

All,

This is related to the following bug reports:

http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0002024
http://bugs.digium.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0002017

This is not an iConnect specific problem, but a chan_sip change. As it
turns out, type=user does not seem to work in the latest CVS (since
June) for authentication against inbound--at least not in the way the
documentation describes.

What we have resorted to in our offices is have two type=peer contexts
in sip.conf defined, the first being outbound, the second being
inbound.

Believe it or not, the order of these peers matters as chan_sip appears
to take the LAST defined context as the authentication peer if you have
a static host or dns name in the host= field.

So, to summarize:

1) chan_sip.c has changed recently the authentication against type=peer
and type=user
2) Registration statements that used to work now need to have a
matching peer in sip.conf, however, the documentation states that
chan_sip will first match type=user and if none is found type=peer. In
real life testing with CVS-HEAD from August 4, this did not work.
3) What did work is creating an outbound peer with the authentication
information such as username, secret, etc. (same as before) and a
separate inbound peer with just the context,type=peer, host=, and any
other codec preferences etc for the inbound leg.
4) This inbound peer has to be AFTER the outbound context otherwise,
chan_sip will authenticate against the outbound peer instead of the
inbound peer.
5) NOTE that the syntax of the registration statement has changed
slightly as well (see wiki) and may need to be modified.