[Asterisk-Users] Questionaire :

Aleph Communications aleph at hagenhomes.com
Mon Aug 9 09:35:26 MST 2004

niko singh wrote:

> Hi,
> I have read quitea bit of the available resources and have this idea
> of asterisk. Would someone kindly answer these briefly
> 1-) Asterisk does not need a sound card...but if i am to record voice
> into an extension or dial from CLI ( basically use asterisk itself as
> a softphone ) then i need a sound card.  : Yes/No

Yes

> a-) If yes creative soundblaster pci 128 is my best bet. Yes/No

Sorry, can't comment.

> 2-) Which is the best codec to use with different softphones
> a-) SJphone :
> b-)  Lipz4 :
> c-)  Gnophone :

Sorry, I don't know.  I would recommend trying the different ones available.

> 3-)  Hardphones need to be plugged into the DSL router ( basically
> need an internet conn ) ... and need no digium cards.
> a-) for recieving calls : Yes/No

They don't need digium cards. Depending on your network setup, you could
probably get away without an internet connection for them as long as
your asterisk box has connectivity.

> b-) for making calls : Yes/no

See above answer

> 4-)  Sofphones run on machines different from the one running asterisk
> and can connect to asterisk , which routes the different phones
> according to contexts. Yes / no

yes

> 5-) Softphone can run on the same machine as asterisk and register the
> same way as if they were ona  different machine : yes /no

yes

> 6-) Softphones can behave as independent sip phones without asterisk.

Yes, at least if I understand you correctly.

> Thanks
> niko

-- SNIPPED--

Darren Wiebe