[Asterisk-Users] Queue issues

ghost at silcon.com ghost at silcon.com
Sun Aug 8 21:11:07 MST 2004

Hi All,

I have a basic queue setup which I have members logging into using
AddQueueMember / RemoveQueueMember.  I'm having three problems-

1) Position announcement is made when there is nobody in the queue.
2) Can't use Agent logins because Queue will add callers to a queue with
no active agents.
3) How can I get the caller to go to voicemail if the queue member that
was rung didn't pickup.  Right now it will just retry and retry and retry
the member.  Using n option in Queue has a problem as described below.

Help with any or all of these items greatly appreciated!

More Detail-

1) If I set announce-frequency in queues.conf, it will play the "You are
now first in line....." message even when there are no callers in the
queue.  I would prefer if it just rang the members, rather than playing
this message.  According to the notes on bug #214, the author intended it
to not play the message. " - No position/holdtime announcement is made if
the caller is the only
caller in the queue when they enter the queue.".  Is this working
correctly on anyone else's system?

2) I am not using Agent logins because of the issue discussed in bug #195
whereby a caller can be placed into a queue even if no agents are logged
in.  It was discussed in this bug to use the n timeout option in Queue to
eventually time the person out of the queue.  I see two major problems
with this - 1) If there are no members taking calls, why not just not
queue them in the first place - just like it works when the queue consists
of dynamic members added using AddQueueMember?  I'd much rather my caller
go to voicemail than wait in the queue overnight until someone logs in the
next morning! 2) If you try and use the n option to time them out
eventually, it will actually time out callers who should be waiting in the
queue when there *are* agents logged in the queue.   IE, there ARE members
in the queue taking calls and you want the caller to be placed in the
queue and wait for however long is needed for their call to get picked up.
 In my testing, if I use the n option to Queue, they get timed out after
the first timeout cycle runs.

3) How can I get the caller to go to voicemail if the queue member that
was rung didn't pickup.  Right now it will just retry and retry and retry
the member.  Using n option in Queue has a problem as described above.  It
will timeout a user waiting in the queue, even when they should be waiting
in the queue.  Agents have the autologoff= option, which would log them
out, but I don't see a way of doing this with members added through
AddQueueMember.

Thanks very much for anyone's input.  I promise to update the Wiki with
whatever knowledge I gain.

queues.conf - pretty vannila.
[salesq]
music = default