[Asterisk-Users] Getting a modem connection working via Asterisk

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Sat Aug 7 10:00:41 MST 2004

Hey all,

I had pretty much figured that getting a modem connection working over the
internet (via VoIP) wasn't really do-able. Last night, I was working on a
friend's laptop, and needed to configure his dialup account; just to see
what'd happen, I plugged it into my Vonage ATA-186, and much to my
surprise, was able to get consistent 28,800 connections. Vonage just uses
standard SIP with a ULAW codec, as far as I know.

I tried the same thing plugged into a SPA-2000 with silence surpression
and all that disabled, connecting via SIP To my local Asterisk box, and
then dialing out to either NuFone or ClearPath (IAX). I double-checked
that the path was ULAW all the way through, but I wasn't able to establish
a modem connection at all - it'd die after a minute or so of negotiation.

Anyone have any tips on how to get this working? I know it is possible to
do via VoIP now, so it'd be really sweet if I could get it working with
Asterisk. Make setting up systems for friends who have Tivo's and stuff
like that a lot easier.  :)