[Asterisk-Users] FXO Problems

Mike Coakley mcoakley at ioumail.com
Fri Aug 6 11:27:07 MST 2004

I have 2 Digium 4 port FXO cards in my system. The system is a P4
2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM, Promise FastTrax 100 TX2 Pro Raid, 80GB RAID1  for
storage - whitebox - running RedHat 9. With pretty much any CVS HEAD
version we are getting, what I will call, "phantom" calls on some
lines. What I mean by a phantom call is that the line will ring,
Asterisk will log that the Zap channel has been answered, the context
will call all of our SIP phones (which works fine) but when you pickup
the handset you get a dial tone. If you just sit there and listen
Asterisk will log that the Zap channel has hung up (after about 5
seconds) and the SIP phone goes busy. I am getting a "reverse polarity"
message on the console of the Asterisk system (not in the Asterisk
console but on the monitor attached to the hardware). But I'm not sure
that is even related yet as today is the first time I saw this message.

I have played with the busydetect and callprogress settings but nothing
has helped. (So I have left them off for now. With each new CVS HEAD I
download I try all the settings again but they have not changed the
situation.) I should also say that this problem did not exist before I
switched over to the Asterisk system. The key system we had before did
not exhibit this problem. SO I am assuming it is (a) the new wiring we
put in place to get to the Asterisk FXO cards (but I have replaced that
during my diagnosis already), (b) the way that the Digium cards are
handling the teclo terminations, or (c) my zaptel.conf or zapata.conf
are somehow wrong.

Here are my configs:

ZAPTEL.CONF
#
# Zaptel Configuration File
#
fxsks=1-8
loadzone = us
defaultzone=us

ZAPATA.CONF
;
; Zapata telephony interface
;
; Configuration file

[trunkgroups]

[channels]
;
; All channel defaults
;
language=en
context=pstn_inbound
signalling=fxs_ks
musiconhold=default

relaxdtmf=no
echotraining=yes
echocancel=yes
echocancelwhenbridged=yes
rxgain=5.0
txgain=0.0
busydetect=no
busycount=6
callprogress=no

callgroup=1
pickupgroup=1

;We have this disabled for now since we don't have Caller ID on our
lines
usecallerid=no
useincomingcalleridonzaptransfer=yes

;We group the following lines into a single group for
; pooled outbound calls
group=1

;Define our incoming/outgoing lines
callerid="MB Main - Line 1" <(973) 252-xxxx>
channel => 1
callerid="MB - Line 2" <(973) 252-xxxx>
channel => 2
callerid="MB - Line 3" <(973) 252-xxxx>
channel => 3
callerid="MB - Line 4" <(973) 252-xxxx>
channel => 4
callerid="MB - Line 5" <(973) 252-xxxx>
channel => 5
callerid="MB - Line 6" <(973) 252-xxxx>
context=pstn_fax_inbound
channel => 6

I'm sure there are some telco gurus out there that can tell me how to
test the incoming telco lines to determine where my problem is. My LEC
is Verizon in New Jersey for those who care.

Some more background: I have had other problems on the line. I had a
beeping or blip on the line towards the caller (not the receiving SIP
side) that sounded like the blips you would get if you were recording
the call. Reading some other posts it sounded like another problem
someone else was having and giving the Digium FXO cards a higher PCI
latency timing helped that situation. Also I had echo on the lines and
no settings in the configs helped at all. I had to uncomment the
AGRESSIVE_SUPRESSOR for the MARK2 echo cancellation algorithm to get my
echo to go away (thanks Mark from Digium for that one).

Thanks,

Mike