[Asterisk-Users] Re: <<< MEETME_AGI_BACKGROUND inside MEET ME>>>

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 13:11:10 MST 2004

In article <BAY15-F18yKDpsCMYRB00057045 at hotmail.com>,
jeff quade <jjq90 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Howdie:
>
> I've been reading some old threads and still have a couple of questions
> about applying the AGI_BACKGROUND script inside a Conference. Perhaps
> someone can save me a bit of fidd'lin.
>
> Am I right in assuming that the MEETME_AGI_BACKGROUND script **WILL WORK**
> on SIP conferenced channels **WITHOUT** an **ACTIVE** zap channel-- AS LONG
> AS THERE IS A DIGIUM CARD INSTALLED IN THE ASTERISK BOX?

No, that's not correct.

The merging of incoming voice packets and the distribution of the merged
packets to the output channels is done within the Zaptel driver. For
true Zap channels, this happens completely at the driver layer. For a
non-Zap channel, app_meetme creates a Zap pseudo-channel for the driver
to use, and then copies the audio data in both directions between the
non-Zap channel and its associated pseudo channel. You can see this in
the middle of the conf_run() function.

The catch is that conf_run() EITHER calls the AGI script, OR runs the
pseudo-channel copying loop, but not both. So if you use an AGI script,
there is nothing linking the non-Zap channel to its associated pseudo.

It *is* necessary either to have a Digium card or a dummy timing driver
(e.g. ztdummy or zaprtc) in order for MeetMe to work at all, but that
doesn't help you use AGI with SIP channels.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield