[Asterisk-Users] Cisco SIP Phone 7960 & DTMF Problem

Shane Young asterisk at ShaneYoung.com
Thu Aug 5 06:42:18 MST 2004

The manual says something like this:

In the current dial plan, the “*” and “#” characters are not matched if specified as dialed digits.
The “*” character is a wildcard that equates to “match one or more characters.” Support was added
for the “*” character by adding “\” as an escape character and the “#” character as a digit in the
dial plan. Backward compatibility for the “#” and “*” characters is supported.

Specify the pound sign (#) and asterisk (*) as dialed digits if required.
• The # is processed as a “dial now” event by default. You can override this by specifying # in the
dial-plan template, in which case the phone does not dial immediately when the # is pressed but does
continue to match the dial-plan template that specifies the #. The # is not matched by the wildcard
character * or the period (.).

• The * is processed as a wildcard character. You can override this by preceding the * with the
backward slash (\) escape sequence, resulting in the sequence \*. The phone automatically strips the
\ so that it does not appear in the outgoing dial string. When * is received as a dialed digit, it
is matched by the wildcard characters * and period (.).

Step 5 Specify the comma (,) as a secondary dial tone if required.
In earlier releases, a comma in the dial-plan template caused the phone to play the default
secondary dial tone (Bellcore-Outside). With this release, you can specify which tones are played.
All tone names should begin with a common prefix.