[Asterisk-Users] VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL

Chris cshaw59 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 20:19:37 MST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris" <cshaw59 at comcast.net>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL

As the title of this thread is VoIP experiences with Cable and DSL...

My experience with Cable and VoIP has been positive. I DO use an external
cable modem with the infamous huge modem buffer and I find that I can set my
QoS to about 80% of full speed and greatly reduce packet loss and jitter...
So far when I ask people who I have talked to if they can tell it's coming
from the internet or if it sounds like a cellphone they can't tell the
difference... Mind you this is hardly a scientific test, and I do notice the
occasional dropped packet, but for the most part it works damn good... So
good in fact that I've dropped my telco completely and now have totally gone
to a SIP-based setup with *, using a cellphone only for 911 calls if needed
and in case the VoIP goes down...

That's just my experience, I hope it helps you...

    -Chris