[Asterisk-Users] G729 Codec

Andres andres at telesip.net
Tue Aug 3 09:23:15 MST 2004

steve at daviesfam.org wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Steve Underwood wrote:
>

>>Eh? G.729 has no particular features to allow more effective packet loss
>>concealment. iLBC has, but at the cost of a substantially higher bit
>>rate. In fact G.711 is a little ahead of G.729 in the regard, since
>>packets are completely independant. The smoothing in G.729 means you
>>need the previous packet to decode the current one properly.
>>

>For IAX2, at least, Asterisk oes not use the lost-packet-concealment of
>any codec.  This is because the incoming frames "clock" Asterisk.  For
>iLBC's lost packet concealment to work, Asterisk would have to start
>calling the decoder with a NULL at the point when the missing packet shold
>have arrived.

This certainly explains why we get terrible audio at 10% packet loss
between Asterisk servers between 2 end points using iLBC, but if we use
2 SPA2000s using G.729 to commincate directly with each other (and
having the same 10% packet loss), they sound pretty good.  We had been
trying to figure why iLBCs loss concealment wasn't helping much.  I was
never able to explain this until now:)

Thanks.

--
Andres