[Asterisk-Users] G729 Codec

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Tue Aug 3 00:16:08 MST 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Steve Underwood wrote:

> Eh? G.729 has no particular features to allow more effective packet loss
> concealment. iLBC has, but at the cost of a substantially higher bit
> rate. In fact G.711 is a little ahead of G.729 in the regard, since
> packets are completely independant. The smoothing in G.729 means you
> need the previous packet to decode the current one properly.

For IAX2, at least, Asterisk oes not use the lost-packet-concealment of
any codec.  This is because the incoming frames "clock" Asterisk.  For
iLBC's lost packet concealment to work, Asterisk would have to start
calling the decoder with a NULL at the point when the missing packet shold
have arrived.

Can't say for sure for SIP, but I'd guess that its the same.

Steve