[Asterisk-Users] [RANT] Today's possible problems with Broadvoice????

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon Aug 2 14:48:19 MST 2004

On Monday 02 August 2004 16:59, Chris Shaw wrote:
> Grant you, e-mails that are sent to the list to bitch and moan about BV
> being down and I'm gonna take my business somewhere else... those don't
> belong in this list, those don't even belong in -biz... I'd be surprised if
> ANYONE would read those... But the e-mails for help or to ask if anyone
> else is having trouble I believe are warranted until we get a separate list
> JUST FOR PROVIDERS...

Emails asking for help I have *zero* problem with
This broadvoice thread has been going on FAR beyond that.  You know it and I
know it.  This isn't a "Hey I'm having some issues, is anyone else?" anymore,
it's a "2:30 I can't get on, what changed" "oh, 2:37, things are okay again"
"oh wait, 2:40 what's going on?"

That's not asking ofr help.  He knows his system hasn't changed.  He knows
that BV is up and down like a bride's nightie.  The thread is no longer about
help.  It's a bitch and moan and status report on BV.

> I would remind you that bitching and moaning about people posting to the
> list about their providers are equally as useless and even more annoying
> especially since you don't use a separate thread for your bitching, you add
> it to a support thread...

Agreed, which is why I waited so long to comment on it in the first place.

> Several people in this list, including myself, have tried to take our time
> to help those of us who use BV to get it working. If you don't want to help
> and just want to bitch about people posting suggestions and/or help you
> know what you can do with your e-mails...

See above.  This isn't about getting * to work with BV now, it's a "Hey BV is
down again, just so you know" thread.

> I think it's great that while BV doesn't support asterisk directly they do
> their damndest to make it work for those of us who use it, especially James
> because they DON'T HAVE TO...

No they don't have to, but they lose out on a wider customer base.  Don't
think for an instant that it's not to better their business.  There's
absolutely nothing wrong with doing so, either.  The more VOIP providers that
are out there and helping getting things work with Asterisk, the better.
It's better for everyone.

> This list is about helping people who use * IN WHATEVER CONFIGURATION THEY
> USE IT IN to get it to work and to want to use it as their PBX solution
> whatever that may be...

See above, it's not the help getting * and BV to talk I'm complaining about.

> I'm sorry if this post upsets you, I have probably alienated myself from
> the list now and will never get help again, but I am so frustrated with
> people putting people down and bitching at others for what they post.

I disagree -- I have never refused to help someone on the list because of a
prior disagreement and doubt there are many people here who do.  Hell Jeremy
McNamara and I don't see eye-to-eye at all on RADIUS support for *, but I've
never felt like he's held that against me in any of my questions.

Again I'm not putting anyone down.  I'm asking that they use their brain a
little before instantly posting to -users about any old half-baked thought
that pops into their heads.  This goes for the newbies too who don't bother
reading any documentation or even hitting Google before firing up their MUA
to blow their question to however many thousands of people read this list.

Let me re-iterate again -- Asking for help getting * and BV to talk is good,
it's healthy and it makes business better for BV and provides another
connection point for *.  This is good.  Spamming the list with what seems
like endless status reports about BV, *especially* once the fucking
connection has been set up and has been shown to work is *not* good.  It's
even WORSE when these goddamned reports are coming in several times a day!

I understand and even agree with your point, to a point -- can you even see my
side of the argument?

-A.