[Asterisk-Users] 480i User Feedback With Asterisk 802.1Q?

Jayson Vantuyl kagato at chaosium.net
Mon Aug 2 06:35:04 MST 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 04:03:58PM -0500, Martin Keding wrote:
> I just brought in a 480i for testing. It is VERY bare basics! Part of the
> Web interface still doesn't work (doesn't show you the sip setting) and
> barely has any other settings available. Also does not have any features for
> NAT. The only way of programing it currently with TFTP. I still haven't got
> it to register properly with Asterisk. Released a little to early I think.
>
> However, it is a very professional looking phone and once the bugs are out
> of it, it seems very promising at a good price.
>
> Martin

I have one of these.  I currently use it under the MGCP firmware, not
the SIP firmware.

First, let me say that it is absolutely amazing that they can get these
out (some sort of RISC chip that runs VxWorks) for this price.

Second, I think the way to go with these is MGCP.  That said, Asterisk
need a serious rework of how we handle MGCP.  However, let's just say
that the screen, buttons, and softkeys are 100% scriptable IFF you can
provide it with the right funtionality on the Call Agent.  Unlike any
other screenphone that does this, it is specified in RFCs as a standard.
It's not perfect, as the official standard for this sort of thing is
Megaco.  That said, it looks like MGCP is here, today, working.

It allows you to put a special XML file up on an FTP server, then send a
special signal to the phone.  From that point, it connects to the server
and downloads the "deck" (in MGCP screenphone parlance) and can use it
to program all of the buttons, etc.  Everything is scriptable.  From the
hold button, to the transfer button, to the 1-4 line buttons.  At least,
that's what I'm told--but initial testing seems to bear this out.

As you can imagine, this sort of thing can provide, say, a voicemail
interface like ADSI never could.

Regrettably, after looking at what it takes to put together a Call
Agent, I'm not sure Asterisk could really become a good one anytime
soon.  I have a feature request in the bugtracker (#2140) to implement
MGCP as a Media Gateway (not a half-implemented Call Agent/Media Gateway
hybrid, as we do now) with the hope that this can be done.

For anyone who cares, I've been expanding the definition of MGCP on
wikipedia with my findings as I implement a Call Agent of my own for
this purpose.  I plan to port it to the VoIP-info wiki, when I get the
time.

--
Jayson Vantuyl