[Asterisk-Users] One More IP Phone for interoperability with Asterisk

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Mon Aug 2 00:29:09 MST 2004

> - STUN support (SIP)

No clue, I was testing the phone only in my local network.

> - Three-way-calling (SIP & MGCP)?

a) I did not get the phone running in MGCP mode.
b) the phone doesn't have a TRANSFER button, so I assumed that it
   doesn't have any built-in transfer capability

> - did you get MGCP-mode to work with *?

As said above, I did not get it working. There's a page that tells you how
to setup the phone, http://www.centralitycomm.com/solutions/setmgcp.htm.
Note that you even have to manually change all the port numbers if you
used SIP and you're trying to switch to MGCP. Anyway, I tried

[23]
context=default
host=192.168.232.102
threewaycalling=yes
transfer=yes
callwaiting=no
nat=no
canreinvite=no
callgroup=0
pickupgroup=0
cancallforward=yes
dtmfmode=inband
line => aaln/1

but then Asterisk was always complaining when the phone tried to register.
I forgot the exact error message, it had something to do with a missing
at sign or so.

> - quality of the speakerphone better than the horribe GS speakerphone?

Didn't test this.

> - is an auto-answer function available?

No, see the web page above, this is all you can set.

> - what does "nice display during boot-up" exactly mean?

The GS has no alphanumeric display, it can only display numbers. The AT323
has a alphanumeric display, so you see the real callerid. The display can
abviously do graphics as well (there is one chinese character visible
sometimes). And while booting, you see a growing status-bar so you see
what's going on.

On the GS, when you set the TFTP-Server to their TFTP-Provisioning and you
switch the phone on, you can't really see what is happening, the phone
appears to be frozen. So I liked the growing status bar more. On the
other side, the AT323 doesn't support TFTP anyway ...

> - maybe the "useless buttons" do have a use in H.323 or MGCP mode?

Hmm, when I press "LocalIP" then the Phone displays it's IP address and
speaks this IP to me. This is nice, but who needs it?  When I press
SerIP, then it display the IP address of the Server and speaks the IP to
me. Again, nice, but who needs this in real life?  The some for the
gateway address, network mask and the phone number. Usually you set them
once up, and keep it there, No need for buttons that displays them.

Here the GS makes it better, where you just have one menu button to get to
those functions.

According to the manual, those buttons don't have special meanings in
other operation modes.

> - the ATCOM manual download doesn't appear to work... (broken .zip
> file) - have you had a chance to look at the "AT-723 ip phone"?

Get the manual from the Centrality Communications web page instead. See
the links at the end of

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-PA168