[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940/7960 SIP functionality questions

Fran Boon flavour at partyvibe.com
Wed Apr 21 13:28:54 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 20:20, David Carter wrote:
> I'm considering using Asterisk with some type of Cisco phone, and currently
> considering either the 7940 or 7960 because of its more-complete functionality
> (compared to the 7905).
> I'm currently wondering:
> 	Do all the expected functions (transfer, conference, voice mail, message
> 	waiting indicator, etc.) work normally with Asterisk over SIP?

All work great :)

> 	What caveats are known about using these phones with SIP, as opposed to
> 	Cisco's proprietary SCCP?  If an SCCP module is available for Asterisk,
> 	how functional is it?

There are 2 SCCP modules chan_sccp & chan_skinny
I've not personally used either yet, but I believe they offer working
basic functionality, but are not as advanced as SIP/IAX or, indeed, SCCP
with CallManager.

> 	How customizable are the phone menus while using SIP (or if a SCCP
> 	module is available, using SCCP)?

Services menu is very customisable:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Cisco+79XX+XML+Services

There is even a manager interface for Asterisk available!:
http://asterisk.edihost.co.uk/am-web/

> Cisco doesn't seem to have much documentation online about using these phones
> in SIP mode, so if anyone is using these phones now, I'd appreciate hearing
> about your experiences.

A good resource is:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx