[Asterisk-Users] RE: E164 updater Client

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Fri Apr 30 06:51:26 MST 2004

Dean Collins wrote:

> The E164 guys commented on how;
> 1/ this would not be immediate change to dns as it would take about 10
> mins for the dns to update (ok but considering you are a free service
> not really that big an issue)

Easy fix.  Change the default TTL in the zone file.

> 2/ that it would increase the work load of the dns servers (ok but if
> the idea takes off then there are ways around this)

We run some *very* popular (as in several million unique hits per day)
websites on our network and also host the DNS for those sites and I have
yet to run into a "workload" problem on the DNS servers.  Even when we
were actively promoting the ez-ip project and had 300,000 users updating
their records that had 30 second TTLs, we never saw more than a couple
of hundred Kb/s and around 300-400 pps to the DNS servers.

When people start getting overly concerned about server load, I start to
wonder if they're doing DNS on some poor old 486 or something.

Even if they were running 486's for their DNS servers, they will still
each handle many more requests per second than anyone would ever imagine
and it is easy to scale things ump-teen 486's for each nameserver IP
address using anycast.

> 3/ that you have other plans in the road map that have priority......ok
> I can understand that but this seems like a very simple option.
>
> Does anyone on either lists have any thoughts or comments? I think that
> this would be a great way to enhance the functionality of asterisk.

I would say a more suitable solution in the short term would be for you
to instruct *your* asterisk server to forward your calls to wherever you
will be when you're "mobile".  That way, you don't have to worry about
someone not wanting to pay to terminate a call to your "ultimate
destination".  They were obviously willing to terminate one to your
asterisk server.  Have the asterisk server route it to you.  Then, it is
YOUR DIME if there is any cost involved.

John