[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk VS. Skype

Mathieu Nantel mnantel at teclinux.com
Fri Apr 30 06:36:37 MST 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 12:28 am, Ron McMillin wrote:
> Mathieu Nantel <mnantel at teclinux.com> wrote:
> This might have been talked about before, but I'm posting anyhow.
>
> I've got down to testing Asterisk yesterday, and I couldn't help but
> compare it with Skype (a Windoze only product, yet, but extremely
> efficient for some reason).
>
> ---Maybe you need more testing :) Do you know what most people use Asterisk
> for or what Asterisk is? I'm surprised that you can even come up with the
> comparisons.

Sorry buddy, I should have been clearer: I should have compared G.711 with
whatever codec skype uses. There's this voice clarity in Skype that I can't
get with G.711.

> Skype has almost unperceptible delay (LAN), while there is almost half a
> second of delay regardless of the codec on Asterisk.
>
> ---Are you sure you don't work for Skype? You might be the only one who
> experience this :)

AS I SAID in one of my previous posts in response to my original question: I
was using Firefly/ULAW against IAX Phone 0.2.0/GSM. GSM was the culprit. I
apologize and bow before the list and beg everyone's pardon for blasphemously
talking about Skype.

> An even if we were to eliminate the latency on asterisk, Skype has at
> least 2x the quality of PSTN, let alone any codec on asterisk.
>

> So I ask: are there no royalty-free codecs that come close to those from
> GIPS? (I understand these people are supplying the codecs for Skype).
>
> ---You need to do more research and answer this easy question yourself.

I had done that, and originally what I perceived as G.711u was biazed by a
misconfig that introduced GSM in the scheme, effectively rendering the voice
communication semi-good/fast.

> Or is there something I'm doing wrong? What configuration yields the
> highest quality and the lowest bitrate? I'm talking LAN communication
> here: plenty of bandwidth, no latency.
>

> (I'm aware that this could be a flamebait. Bring em on.)
>
> ---You're ridiculous. If you wanna compare something with Skype, compare it
> with SIP in general.

Comparing Skype with SIP? No - I will compare "Fake-P2P" with SIP/IAX. The
whole issue at hand was the codec here.

Me, ridiculous? Boy, I learned that ages ago.

--
Mathieu Nantel, RHCE
Teclinux.com
mnantel at teclinux.com