[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk VS. Skype

Ron McMillin sipnow at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 29 21:28:13 MST 2004

Mathieu Nantel <mnantel at teclinux.com> wrote:
This might have been talked about before, but I'm posting anyhow.

I've got down to testing Asterisk yesterday, and I couldn't help but
compare it with Skype (a Windoze only product, yet, but extremely
efficient for some reason).

---Maybe you need more testing :) Do you know what most people use Asterisk for or what Asterisk is? I'm surprised that you can even come up with the comparisons.

Skype has almost unperceptible delay (LAN), while there is almost half a
second of delay regardless of the codec on Asterisk.

---Are you sure you don't work for Skype? You might be the only one who experience this :)

An even if we were to eliminate the latency on asterisk, Skype has at
least 2x the quality of PSTN, let alone any codec on asterisk.

So I ask: are there no royalty-free codecs that come close to those from
GIPS? (I understand these people are supplying the codecs for Skype).

---You need to do more research and answer this easy question yourself.

Or is there something I'm doing wrong? What configuration yields the
highest quality and the lowest bitrate? I'm talking LAN communication
here: plenty of bandwidth, no latency.

(I'm aware that this could be a flamebait. Bring em on.)

---You're ridiculous. If you wanna compare something with Skype, compare it with SIP in general.

--
Mathieu Nantel
TecLinux.com
mnantel at teclinux.com