[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk integration with Meridian 1 Option 11 / ISDN30

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Thu Apr 29 08:17:54 MST 2004

Greetings to one and all on this fine list;

We have the current system:

                        Meridian 1 Option 11
                        +-------------------+
                        |                   |
ISDN/30 (DASS/2)   ===> |NTAK79BB (2MB Pri) |
                        |                   |<-->4x16 port Digital / 1x16
port Analogue
ISDN/30 (EUROIDSN) ===> |NTBK50AA (2MB Pri) |
                        |                   |      Melita predictive Dialler
                        | NTAK79BC (2MB Pri)|<===>
+---------------------------+
                        |                   |      |

                        | NTAK79BC (2MB Pri)|<===> | Aculab E1 SC-BUS ISA
|
                        |                   |      | (Dialogic D320/SC)
|
                        |                   |      | (Dialogic DCB/SC)

                        |                   |      |

                        +-------------------+
+---------------------------+

We are in the process of removing the Melita dialler from the system, and I
want to install * as the "main" pbx to provide for VOIP, voicemail and
legacy pbx integration etc. etc.

I have been able to setup, install and configure an * box with the x100P and
a isdn2 card (avm fritz) running under fedora. Great stuff.

Now, in order to move to the next stage, I have a couple of ideas and
questions.

1) Has anyone any idea why the Melita dialler is configured this way ? We
have had no end of problems with the system. I would have thought that the
dialler would be between the PSTN and meridian (thus saving on the two NTAK
cards)

2) I have read in the archives that that * / digium does not support the
DASS/2 ISDN 30. So, would we need to install a whole new ISDN Euro/30 or
could we upgrade the DASS/2 to EuroISDN. We have asked BT, but their support
systems need, well, this is a public forum....

3) I was going to get a Wildcard TE405P or Wildcard TE410P card, and put *
between the PSTN and the PBX, so things should look like this:

                                       Meridian 1 Option 11
                       + -------+     +-------------------+
                       |        |     |                   |
ISDN/30 (EUROISDN) ===>|        |===> |NTBK50AA (2MB Pri) |
                       | TE405P |     |                   |<-->4x16 port
Digital / 1x16 port Analogue
ISDN/30 (EUROIDSN) ===>|        |===> |NTBK50AA (2MB Pri) |
                       |        |     |                   |
                       +--------+     +-------------------+

Does anyone see any problem with this ? We could then add VOIP the box, and
with the appropriate dialplan things should work just great ... ;)

Would it be possible to remove one of the NTBK50AA cards, or would you need
two cards (we already have the extra card "in the back") for 32+ channels ?

4) I presume that the Aculab / Dialogic stuff should be junked ? They are
ISA slots ...

5) What happens if * fails ? I have read in the archives that it would be
possible simply to plug the ISDN straight back into the meridian box in case
of emergency. Is this valid ? I cannot see why it shouldn't be.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, they would be more than welcome.
Things like signalling protocols, the .conf files for the EuroISDN would be
most gratefully received.

The last issue is, how do I set it up so that I can do systems integration
testing ? I would not want to take out the lines during working hours - and
would need to be able to bounce the * box up and down as required.

We are keeping a log of all the things that we are doing for this project.
Once complete, we will write it up as a whitepaper and give it back to the *
community.

TIA

Julian.