[Asterisk-Users] Video Conferencing

Larry Keyes lkeyes at mxdesign.net
Thu Apr 29 07:51:32 MST 2004

Your idea sounds very cool, and it makes perfect sense. Whether the clients
dial-in via hardware or software, and whether they only receive video, I
don't think matters as far as asterisk is concerned (except for bandwith,
natch), a call is a call, only the available media is different.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether * supports T.120 data sharing
(whiteboard) capability, if you needed that.

I think much of what you might be looking for is provided by Ilinc.
I had to do some looking around for this myself a month or so ago, and came
up with a quick list:

http://www.mxdesign.net/Interactive%20Presentations/index.htm

I've been expermenting with Asterisk with SIP, and was interested in the *
H.323 support.

-- Larry

What I'm looking to do is more of a broadcast scenario. I would have the
good hardware at the main office, then clients would dial in via software
clients. They would be able to receive video & audio and from the main
office and ask questions back via audio, but the clients wouldn't be sending
video, just receiving it. Does this make sense..
it's for a remote learning environment.

I'm hoping * would allow me to manually greet callers before they're added
to the conference. As I mentioned I want to use * to leverage a separate,
existing planned investment in a voice only * system for our office.