[Asterisk-Users] POTS fail-over?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Apr 28 08:46:06 MST 2004

> LOL, sounds like a challenge.  A PIC is only a buck or two, I think I
> have a couple of zeners to decouple the ringing voltage (which I'd need
> for analog, too), and programming a PIC is easy.  Oh yeah, and did I
> mention that my analog circuit expertise is minimmal?

An LM324 is under a dime, a handful of resistors run me pennies and I'd be
using the same zeners as you...

Now what's your time worth to program the PIC?  (And debug said program.)  The
circuit complexity's the same for both of us, and I'm assuming you're using a
12C series with built-in RC oscillator.

Hell I could really go cheap and use a transistor but now we're just getting
silly. :-)  I am willing to bet, however, that the time spent programming and
debugging the PIC will be significantly more than it would be to google for
"telephone in use circuit" and build the circuit -- the complexities of the
actual hardware are about equal.

Regards,
Andrew