[Asterisk-Users] multiple instances of asterisk spawning

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Apr 27 11:22:17 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 12:22, Steven Kokinos wrote:
> In-fact I'm not a new unix user at all, and am quite familiar with
> multi-threaded apps. However, it is not clear from the documentation
> whether or not asterisk is multi-threaded. i had assumed it was (or had
> recently become so) when i initially saw this behavior and searched
> (and found nothing), then asked the question to the list (which yielded
> no response).

Link to google... http://tinyurl.com/38fdu
Look closely at the search terms that will show up when you get there.
When I search with those terms, I see over half of the first page with
subjects pertaining to thread safe and reentrant functions. This should
be the flaming blue clue hammer that lights the way.

> before putting my system in production i wanted to be certain this was
> in-fact the case. note - the only change in my environment is the
> kernel version. perhaps the kernel process reporting is slightly
> different between the versions, or i set a configuration option
> somewhat differently (though i copied the previous config file as the
> base for the new kernel).

I'm still assuming you are on a RH system. It is well known that RH
dorks with stuff it shouldn't. Add to this that they ship kernels that
sometimes are significantly different from stock(not a flame or a slam,
just fact). So unless you trust them to provide you the kernel, and
stayed with their revisions, that may have been the cause.

It has been noted here that it is possible if you picked up the kernel
from RH, you also picked up some other things possibly unknown to you
that changed the behavior.

Can you tell I don't trust RH!