[Asterisk-Users] e164.org proudly announces PSTN support

Mon Apr 26 22:06:53 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 14:49, Duane wrote:
> Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > I hope this 'validation' is ... ummm... considerate. ie, you will only
> > be called between 9am and 9pm local time.
>
> The validation call is made within 15 minutes of you adding the number
> to the website, so the calls are determined by the end user for the most
> part, they are automated and generally kept as short as possible to keep
> costs down.

This is one thing I was concerned about... If someone was to enter an
incorrect phone number, they may inconvenience the other person. This
might be intentional, or by accident. ie, at 3am is rather inconvenient
for most people (although perfectly acceptible for me ...)

Also, you perhaps should include some other call caps, ie, don't re-try
the same number more frequantly than once per day for a max of 3 per
week, or something like that...

> > Personally, I'm still trying to overcome the cost issue where routing
> > calls over my internet connection may in fact be MORE expensive than
> > routing those calls over the PSTN.
>
> I'm fortunate not to be under per meg charges or download caps as I live
> in Australia as well...

Do you have any other comments on internet based costs as opposed to
land line costs? Any examples of real life bandwidth usage on a 10
minute phone call? etc...

Sometimes, I do the math and think it is more expensive to use my
internet connection, sometimes the reverse, and sometimes it is both
about the same. Perhaps my math just isn't that good :(

Preferably based on gsm codec, since I think that is pretty much the
most common.

Adam