[Asterisk-Users] e164.org proudly announces PSTN support

Duane digium at aus-biz.com
Mon Apr 26 21:45:42 MST 2004

John Todd wrote:

Ok missed a few points...

Initially I see this being a majority business to business and consumer
to business service rather then end user to end user. There is
potentially a lot of (on an end user level) personal information stored
on individuals, however businesses generally want to be found and other
businesses and consumers that are empowered to call companies directly
over already paid for leased lines, dsl connections and the like have
the potential themselves and other companies money on 1800 numbers and
the like and per minute rates or even just a local call cost that we are
charged here in Australia...

>   My hope is that the ENUM authorities (typically the PTT's or
> government telephony regulatory agencies) in each nation will make
> something for adding entries into their respective national ENUM
> databases that is as easy as the e164.org entry process.  However,
> knowing the political strife that so often accompanies things like this
> I doubt that will be anytime soon, so maybe e164.org sounds like a good
> idea for a while.

With incumbent telcos that hold ill-gotten government monopolies in
countries such as Australia (I won't mention any names but it doesn't
take a brain surgeon to know the answer to this one) who have everything
to loose due to enum.164's ability to route calls directly from PABX to
PABX over the internet, I highly doubt some countries will get anything
easy to use. So when you want something done right you have to do it
yourself :)

I doubt calls will ever be totally free, you still need some
connectivity somewhere, but the current prices of 25c/minute for calls
made long distance during 7am to 7pm in Australia is a joke beyond all
jokes... To add insult to injury they whack on a 33c connection fee for
good measure...

--
Best regards,
  Duane